UGH! It’s been one of those days that I don’t want to talk about. I feel defeated by my own mind. Of course it’s nothing to worry about though. A bad day is just a bad day. So let’s move on to brighter things.
I really wanted today’s post to be a bit more of a get to know me. I found a list of 50 questions and have spent a couple of days working on the answers. You can find the list of questions here.
- What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?
In the gaming world I get called “Dee” because of my gaming name. I don’t really have other nicknames.
- What books on your shelf are begging to be read?
All of them. The shelves are mostly filled with cookbooks and I rarely open any of them.
- How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like?
I am terrible at doodling. I never know what to draw. I enjoy using ink to line and markers to colour my doodles. The last few days my doodles have been random items and song inspired.
- What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and Turn? Try to get up and do something productive?
I usually just lay there and try to think of pleasant things so I don’t have bad dreams.
- How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it?
I feel like I could last a while because I’m pretty isolated as it is. The only problem is I would miss being online. So realistically about three and half minutes.
- Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away?
It depends on who they are from. Random birthday/Christmas cards find their way to the bin swiftly. I keep all things from hubby and wifey, even if I don’t know where they are in my house right now.
- Who is the biggest pack rat you know?
Hubby. Thankfully I remind him (nag him) to remove his collection of old shoes, empty soft drink bottles and shopping lists frequently. I wish he would start hoarding gold bars.
- When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost?
Way back in the day when I went to parties, I would sneak in and find a safe spot to roost. By the end of the night I would often be the life of the party.
- What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be?
I think my sense of smell would be the strongest. I can always smell rain before it happens. I really enjoy my five senses. Smell and taste go hand in hand. I wouldn’t enjoy giving up sound because I have such an interesting relationship with it. Touch is important. So, can I give up my sixth sense? I’d be okay with not physically feeling other people’s pain and sadness.
- How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror?
A handful. Whenever I go past it. Although I really don’t like mirrors and if it was possible to live without them, I would.
- What is the strangest thing you believed as a child?
All the lies I was told about things that happened. Looking back it was very obvious what was going on and it isn’t what I was being told.
- What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up?
World of Warcraft.
- Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know?
I don’t know a lot of people and the people I know, I don’t see them for most of the day, so I really don’t know how much random kindness they do. I will assume they are all very very kind though. I know I try to do as many random acts of kindness as I can.
- How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections?
I don’t read newspapers. If I’m interested in knowing something I will Google it. I go wherever Mr Google leads me.
- Which animals scare you most? Why?
The ones that want to bite me or eat me because I really don’t want either of those things to happen.
- Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage it head-on?
I think it depends on the situation. For the most part, I avoid it. If anything I am most likely to try and lighten the mood by making a joke.
- What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savoured?
I showed someone a drawing I had done to which they replied; “Wow that’s amazing. You’re talanted as f*!k.” It was such an Aussie bloke compliment. It made me laugh.
- What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will?
I’m hoping that everything I want to change about myself will be something I can achieve. I don’t even want to think about what I can’t do.
- Are you a creature of habit? Explain.
I am a creature of habit. I’ve been doing the same things every day for months. Although, I have always pretty much just stuck to the same things all the time. I usually stick to doing the wrong things too. Eep!
- Are you high maintenance? Explain.
Not really. I am a bit attention needy though. I like when people say nice things about me.
- When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits?
I try and do that when I workout every day.
- Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why?
There are three people I would consider close friends and I’m in a relationship with two of those people. I find it hard to have friends because of my depression. If I get depressed I pull away from people and it always strains the friendship. I also have a tendency to say the wrong things. Now that I don’t leave the house, it’s even harder to make connections, especially because I can’t do normal friend things like going for coffee.
- Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others?
I’m really not sure. I’d like to be the ‘build an empire’ type person.
- What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone?
If I have a strange occurrence story that I’ve never shared, there is probably a reason for that.
- What do you think about more than anything else?
Living with depression makes this question hard. If I’m depressed, I will try not to think. When I’m okay, I would say that I think about the people I care about the most.
- What’s something that amazes you?
What doesn’t amaze me? People, technology, life! When you think about any of it, it really is amazing how it works.
- Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why?
I’d like to think that I want people to shoot straight with me but at the same time, just tell me what I want to hear. It feels nicer.
- Where’s your favourite place to take an out-of-town guest?
If they were from overseas I’d want to show them Darling Habour/The Rocks in Sydney and definitely a trip to the iconic Bondi Beach. Of course there are amazing little seaside towns, rain forests, beaches, the mountains all near where I live. A visit to my house leaves you spoiled for choice.
- What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why?
I’m cheap so I would prefer to do it all myself, if I can. I’m regretting not becoming an electrician.
- Do you have a catchphrase?
I’m pretty sure I don’t have a catchphrase…. yet!!!
- What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking with them?
I sort of enjoy outspoken people. I am one of them. As long as an outspoken person can also listen, then I enjoy having conversations with them. I’ve been known to argue points that I know are untrue, just because I want to try and change someones opinion. I have.
- How and where do you prefer to study?
I study at my computer which is on the coffee table in the living room. I’m not sure this is a good setup but it’s what I have.
- What position do you sleep in?
I have to fall asleep laying on my tummy, with my arms tucked under me. I think after that I mostly sleep on my right side, with my knees bent slightly.
- What’s your all-time favourite town or city? Why?
Akaroa, New Zealand. I’ve only been there twice but it’s pretty much perfect. It’s a small seaside town with a French influence. It feels like the type of place you’d go to take cooking classes or to paint picture of boats all day. Yes please.
- What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new?
A sense of humor, a friendly nature and someone who is good at conversation because I’m very not good at conversation. So it helps if they are good at it to pull me out of my shyness shell.
- How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you?
I’m an only child. It’s lonely.
- If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be?
My agoraphobia. I miss being a normal person.
- If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be?
I don’t have any broken relationships.
- If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
I would like to change my first name actually, as a tribute to my mum but I probably will never do it.
- Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not?
It was a line in a Macy Gray song, how could it be false? I think ignorance can be bliss. There are things that I could live without knowing. As long as my physical safety isn’t being compromised, does it really matter?
- What do you consider unforgivable?
I think most things are forgivable, given enough time. If someone hurts someone I love though, then I’m not sure I could find it in myself to forgive them. At least that’s how it feels thinking about the question.
- Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not?
I haven’t but I’ve never really thought about trying to do that either. It would probably be a healthy move.
- How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologise?
I am a pretty forgiving person.
- Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for?
After giving this question considerable consideration, I still have no idea.
- To what extent do you trust people? Explain.
I don’t trust people. I have had many many bad people experiences and all of them end up with me getting very very hurt. It’s happened at school, work and in more than one friendship. I think in some ways I’m naive. I assume people are good.
- In what area of your life are you immature?
All of them. I never got round to adult-ing but I’m trying now.
- What was the best news you ever received?
It’s always the best news when wifey says; J’ai un billet d’avion. (I have a plane ticket.)
- How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular?
I don’t think it’s difficult at all. Sadly, I am sometimes far too honest and even if it’s coming from a good place, it can not seem that way. I’ve lost friends like that. I try and keep my talking to a minimum now. If I’m not talking, I can’t ruin things.
- When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first?
There are three people that I’ve just immediately clicked with.
First it was hubby. We clicked from the first conversation. We had a lot in common, he was very friendly and I really liked his voice. (We met online.) We’ve been together 15 years and married for 13 years.
Secondly, it was wifey. We met in Secondlife and I clicked with her before we even talked. She had me at converse hightops. They were the shoes she was wearing in the game. From our first conversation, I was hooked. We’ve been inseparable for the last 8 years.
Thirdly, it was a paladin. We met in WoW and from day one I really enjoyed hanging out with him, even though we didn’t talk a lot. Then he left the game for a few months. When he came back to WoW we caught up and have been close friends ever since. I hope I get to have him in my world for a good long time.
- When do you find yourself singing?
I enjoy singing a lot. Sometimes I’ll do karaoke online. Sometimes it’s singing in the shower. I definitely like to sing when I’m drinking. All the time. I sing all the time.
If you got through the entire list, you are a trooper. Thanks for sticking it out. I hope you enjoyed the strange journey into my world.
Only one day left before the New Year. I may have left my organising a little late so tomorrow morning is going to be FOCUSED.
I hope you’re all ready for the New Year. Good luck with plans and resolutions.